The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
Semantics and Pragmatics of False Friends
This book approaches the topic of false friends from a theoretical perspective, arguing that false friends carry out a positive role as a cognitive device, mainly in literature and jokes, and suggesting some pragmatic strategies in order to restore the original sense of a text/utterance when a given translator (or a foreign speaker) falls victim to false friends. This theoretical account is successively verified by appealing to texts from the fields of literature, science, philosophy, journalism, and everyday speech.
200 pages; ISBN 9781135908614
, or download in or
More Language Arts
English Language and Literature for the IB Diploma 2011 US$ 34.00 250 pages
The Small Business Guide to Online Marketing 2012 US$ 6.57
Through the Language Glass 2010 US$ 9.99 320 pages
The Only Grammar and Style Workbook You'll Ever Need 2012 US$ 6.50 256 pages
- Academic > Languages and Linguistics > Philology. Linguistics > Language. Linguistic theory. Comparative grammar > Translating and interpreting
- Academic > Languages and Linguistics > Philology. Linguistics > General
- Language Arts & Disciplines > Linguistics
- Language Arts & Disciplines > Translating & Interpreting
- Language Arts & Disciplines > Semantics