Causes, Consequences and Solutions
Drawing on a range of research and media sources to provide an international perspective on the topic of prison violence, this book focuses on the impact of such violence on the individual both while he or she is incarcerated and upon his or her release from prison, as well as on society as a whole.
With a special emphasis on comparisons of violence among incarcerated populations in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, Prison Violence: Causes, Consequences and Solutions explores the various systems that exist to combat the problem, whilst also considering public perceptions of offenders and punishment, as influenced by media and coverage of high-profile cases.
Providing a comprehensive analysis of prison violence on national and international levels, this book examines the extent of the problem, theoretical understandings of the issue and concrete solutions designed to prevent and handle such violence. As such, it will be of interest to policy makers as well as scholars of sociology, criminology and penology.
Title: Prison Violence
Author: Kristine Levan; Bonnie Berry
More Social Science
- Academic > Sociology > Social pathology. Social and public welfare. Criminology > Criminal justice administration > Penology. Prisons. Corrections
- Academic > Public Affairs > Criminal justice administration > Penology. Prisons. Corrections
- Academic > Public Affairs > Corrections
- Law > Criminal Law
- Social Science > Sociology
- Social Science > Criminology