The first of a two-volume edition of Vergil's Aeneid, Aeneid 1–6 is part of a new series of Vergil commentaries from Focus, designed specifically for college students and informed by the most up-to-date scholarship. The editors, who are scholars of Roman epic, not only provide grammatical and syntantical aid in translating and navigating the complexities of Vergil's Latin, but also elucidate the stylistic and interpretive issues that enhance and sustain readers' appreciation of the Aeneid. Editions of individual Aeneid books with expanded comments and general vocabulary of each book are also being made available by Focus.
- The complete Books 1–6 in Latin with the most up-to-date notes and commentary by today’s leading scholars of Roman epic;
- A general introduction to the entire volume that sets forth the literary, cultural, political, and historical background necessary to interpret and understand Vergil;
- Book commentaries that include:
- an introduction to each book, as well as shorter introductions to major sections to help frame salient passages for students;
- line-by-line notes providing grammatical and syntactical help in translating, discussion of the most up-to-date scholarship, and explanations of literary references that help students make connections between Vergil and Homer;
- Appendix on meter clearly and helpfully demonstrating the metrical concepts employed in the Aeneid with actual examples from the text, giving students the framework for understanding Vergil’s poetic artistry;
- Glossary on rhetorical, syntactic, and grammatical terms that aids students in identifying and discussing the characteristic elements of Vergil's style.
Title: Aeneid 1�6
Author: Vergil; Randall Ganiban; Christine Perkell; James J. O'Hara; James Farrell; Patricia A. Johnston
More Foreign Language Study
Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish 2012 US$ 11.99 512 pages
French B for the IB Diploma Student Book 2014 US$ 48.00 305 pages