A Data Recovery Approach, Second Edition
"This book represents the second edition, aiming to consolidate, strengthen, and extend the presentation of K-means partitioning and Ward hierarchical clustering by adding new material such as five equivalent formulations for K-means, usage of split base vectors in hierarchical clustering, an effective version of least-squares divisive clustering, consensus clustering, etc. In addition, the book presents state-of-the-art material on validation and interpretation of clusters. The book is intended for teaching, self-study, and professional use."
—Marina Gorunescu, Zentralblatt MATH 1297
"The second edition is a refinement of Mirkin’s well-received first edition. … an excellent starting point for those interested in the algorithmic underpinning and theory of cluster analysis…"
—Journal of the American Statistical Association, June 2014
Praise for the First Edition:
"The particular decomposition studied in this book is the decomposition of the total sum of squares matrix into, between, and within cluster components, and the book develops this decomposition, and its associated diagnostics, further than I have seen them developed for cluster analysis before. Overall, the book presents an unusual … approach to cluster analysis, from the perspective of someone who is clearly an enthusiast for the insights these tools can bring to understanding data."
—D.J. Hand, Short Book Reviews of the ISI
366 pages; ISBN 9781439838426
, or download in
Author: Boris Mirkin
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Mathematics
- Academic > Computer Science > Computer science
- Academic > Computer Science > Electronic data processing
- Academic > Computer Science > Computers - special aspects
- Academic > Computer Science > System design; Periodicals
- Academic > Computer Science > Database management
- Academic > Computer Science > Data mining
- Academic > Mathematics > Instruments and machines
- Academic > Mathematics > Geometry. Trigonometry.Topology
- Computers > Database Management > Data Mining
- Mathematics > Probability & Statistics
- Computers > Mathematical & Statistical Software