The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
The Contemporary Monologue: Women
The Contemporary Monologue" is an exciting selection of speeches of all types, serious and comic, realistic and absurdist, drawn from plays written by contemporary playwrights over the past ten years. Updating the popular "Modern Monologues," this fresh collection of speeches represents the best American and English playwrights of today including Caryl Churchill, Ariel Dorfman, John Guare, David Mamet, Tony Kushner, Stephen Sondheim and John Weidman.
Organized for maximum benefit to the actor gleaning for background material, individual selections are introduced with a summary of the play's action up to the point the speech begins. A brief sketch of the character is also given, utilizing, where possible, the playwright's own words. Finally, a commentary follows each monologue, alerting the actor to details in the speech that could help him/her perform it better.
Some of the highlights of "The Contemporary Monologue" for men include selections from "Angels in America," by Tony Kushner; " Frankie and Johnnie in the Clair de Lune," by Terrence McNally; "States of Shock," by Sam Shepard; and "Speed-the-Plow, " by David Mamet.
144 pages; ISBN 9781136754531
, or download in or
More from this author
- Academic > Literature > Drama > Special types
- Academic > Literature > Authorship > Technique. Literary composition, etc.
- Academic > Performing Arts > Study and teaching > Selections for practice [monologues, scenes, etc]
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theater
- Academic > Literature > Periodicals
- Academic > Literature > Societies
- Performing Arts > Theater
- Drama > English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh