Water Management, Food Security and Sustainable Agriculture in Developing Economies
This book addresses strategies for food security and sustainable agriculture in developing economies. The book focuses primarily on India, a fast developing economy, whose natural resource base comprising land and water supporting agricultural production is not only under enormous stress, but also complex and not amenable to a uniform strategy. It critically reviews issues which continue to dominate the debate on water management for agricultural and food production.
The book examines the validity of the claim that large water resources projects cause serious social and environmental damages using global and national datasets. The authors examine claims that the future of Indian agriculture is in rain-fed farming supported by small water harvesting. They question whether water-abundant eastern India could become the granary of India, through a groundwater revolution with the right policy inputs. In the process, they look at the less researched aspect of the food security challenge, which is land scarcity in eastern India. The book analyzes the physical, economic and social impacts of large-scale adoption of micro irrigation systems, using a farming system approach for north Gujarat. Through an economic valuation of the multiple use benefits from tank systems in western Orissa, it shows how value of water from large public irrigation systems could be enhanced.
The book also looks at the reasons for the limited success in bringing about the much needed institutional reforms in canal irrigation for securing higher productivity and equity using case studies of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. Finally it addresses how other countries in the developing world, particularly Sub-Saharan Africa could learn from Indian experience.
Title: Water Management, Food Security and Sustainable Agriculture in Developing Economies
Author: M. Dinesh Kumar; M.V.K. Sivamohan; Nitin Bassi
- Academic > Engineering > Environmental technology > Water supply for domestic and industrial purposes
- Academic > Earth Sciences > Environmental technology. Sanitary engineering > Water supply for domestic and industrial purposes
- The Environment > Water Management
- Science > Environmental Science
- Technology > Agriculture
- Technology > Environmental Engineering & Technology
- Business > Development
- Business > Industries
This edition is not for sale in your country. Here are some titles that might be what you're after...
- Groundwater Management in IndiaUS$ 38.95
- Development for Sustainable AgricultureUS$ 100.00
- Convergence of Food Security, Energy Security and Sustainable AgricultureUS$ 189.00
- Sustainable Management of Water Resources in AgricultureUS$ 37.00
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security in an Era of Oil ScarcityUS$ 54.95