Routledge International Handbook of Crime and Gender Studies
Criminological research has historically been based on the study of men, boys and crime. As a result, the criminal justice system’s development of policies, programs, and treatment regimes was based on the male offender. It was not until the 1970s that some criminologists began to draw attention to the neglect of gender in the study of crime, but today, the study of gender and crime is burgeoning within criminology and includes a vast literature.
The Routledge International Handbook of Crime and Gender Studies is a collection of original, cutting-edge, multidisciplinary essays which provide a thorough overview of the history and development of research on gender and crime, covering topics based around:
- theoretical and methodological approaches
- gender and victimization
- gender and offending
- gendered work in the criminal justice system
- future directions in gender and crime research.
Alongside these essays are boxes which highlight particularly innovative ideas or controversial topics – such as cybercrime, restorative justice, campus crime, and media depictions. A second set of boxes features leading gender and crime researchers who reflect on what sparked their interest in the subject.
This engaging and thoughtful collection will be invaluable for students and scholars of criminology, sociology, psychology, public health, social work, cultural studies, media studies, economics and political science.
Title: Routledge International Handbook of Crime and Gender Studies
Author: Claire M. Renzetti; Susan L. Miller; Angela R. Gover
More Social Science
Globalization: A Very Short Introduction 2013 US$ 6.87 177 pages
When Breath Becomes Air 2016 US$ 12.99 240 pages
- Academic > Sociology > Social pathology. Social and public welfare. Criminology > Emergency management > Relief in case of disasters > Special types of disasters
- Academic > Sociology > Social pathology. Social and public welfare. Criminology > Social service. Social work. Charity organization and practice
- Academic > Sociology > Social pathology. Social and public welfare. Criminology > Criminology
- Social Science > Sociology
- Social Science > Gender Studies
- Social Science > Criminology