Exceptionality in East Asia
Explorations in the Actiotope Model of Giftedness
The continual successes of students from East-Asia are confirmed in a variety of international tests of academic achievement and yet, despite this attainment, many scholars have realised that a substantial proportion of these students are also underachieving.
Using the actiotope model of giftedness to integrate a broad range of research, this innovative book features a number of chapters written by internationally recognised scholars in a frank and lively discussion about the origins of exceptionality in students from East Asia. With the actiotope model as the theoretical framework, the book distinguishes between trait models of giftedness and systems approaches to exceptionality. Breaking new ground in understanding the complex interactions between a learner’s environment, goals, intelligence and motivations in the development of their ever-expanding knowledge and skill set, this book will:
- describe, with examples, a systems approach to the development of exceptionality, allowing educators and researchers the ability to track students with greater precision;
- influence the means by which educators identify and support students with the potential for exceptional performance;
- suggest possible reasons for the variability in the achievement of potentially gifted students;
- provide strategies to support these students;
- have a profound effect on the way that exceptionality and giftedness are defined and understood, not only in East Asia but also in the West.
Covering issues that have firm theoretical foundations and which are based on cutting edge ideas, Exceptionality in East Asia has significant implications for gifted education and is essential reading for scholars, undergraduate and postgraduate students interested in the psychological and social basis of exceptionality.
304 pages; ISBN 9781136455711
, or download in or
Title: Exceptionality in East Asia
Author: Shane N. Phillipson; Heidrun Stoeger; Albert Ziegler
From Discipline to Culturally Responsive Engagement 2013 US$ 34.95 233 pages
The Edcamp Model 2014 US$ 11.95 73 pages
The Adult Student's Guide to Survival & Success 2008 US$ 12.00 176 pages
Teacher Evaluation to Enhance Professional Practice 2000 US$ 24.95 167 pages
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Education of special classes of persons > Exceptional children and youth. Special education > Gifted children and youth
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Moral and religious education > Religion and education. Education under church control > Christian education. Church education
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Forms of education > Home education
- Education > Adult & Continuing Education
- Education > Special Education
- Education > Research