The Toxicology of Methanol
Examines methanol toxicity in humans, animals, and the environment
Methanol is a natural product widely used as a chemical intermediate and as a component in a broad range of consumer products. It can also be highly toxic. This book offers a comprehensive review of the toxicity of methanol and its effects on humans, animals, and the environment. Much of the current research on methanol's toxicity involves animal models; however, the author explains how the results of this research can apply to humans.
The Toxicology of Methanol begins with an introduction to methanol production and markets. It then explores the impact of methanol on the environment, presenting realistic scenarios that demonstrate what can happen when large quantities of methanol are accidentally released into the environment. Next, the book covers:
- Human toxicity, including exposure, metabolism, in utero exposure, controlled human studies, and management of methanol poisoning
- Animal and aquatic toxicity, including acute toxicity, irritation, sensitization, and repeat exposures
- Developmental and reproductive toxicology of methanol as well as the pathogenesis of methanol-induced birth defects
- Key differences between PBPK models of methanol disposition in mice and in humans
- Oxidative stress and species differences in the metabolism, developmental toxicity, and carcinogenic potential of methanol and ethanol
The final chapter is dedicated to methanol and cancer, exploring potential mechanisms such as genotoxicity and oxidative damage. Each chapter in the book ends with conclusions underscoring what we can glean from current research results. Each chapter also includes extensive references leading to the primary literature in the field.
Reviewing all the latest research studies, The Toxicology of Methanol will help toxicologists, industrial hygienists, environmental scientists, and product safety professionals better understand and manage the hazards of methanol toxicity.
304 pages; ISBN 9781118353103
, or download in or
Title: The Toxicology of Methanol
Author: John J. Clary