The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
Lessons of Power and Identity in Affluent Schooling
How can teachers bridge the gap between their commitments to social justice and their day to day practice? This is the question author Adam Howard asked as he began teaching at an elite private school and the question that led him to conduct a six-year study on affluent schooling. Unfamiliar with the educational landscape of privilege and abundance, he began exploring the burning questions he had as a teacher on the lessons affluent students are taught in schooling about their place in the world, their relationships with others, and who they are.
Grounded in an extensive ethnographic account, Learning Privilege examines the concept of privilege itself and the cultural and social processes in schooling that reinforce and regenerate privilege. Howard explores what educators, students and families at elite schools value most in education and how these values guide ways of knowing and doing that both create high standards for their educational programs and reinforce privilege as a collective identity. This book illustrates the ways that affluent students construct their own privilege,not, fundamentally, as what they have, but, rather, as who they are.
290 pages; ISBN 9781135901196
, or download in or
Understanding by Design, Expanded 2nd Edition 2005 US$ 32.95 383 pages
Energizing Brain Breaks 2013 US$ 19.95 65 pages
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Moral and religious education > Religion and education. Education under church control > Christian education. Church education > Roman Catholic
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Education of special classes of persons > Other special classes
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Forms of education > Private school education
- Education > Adult & Continuing Education
- Education > Special Education
- Education > Philosophy & Social Aspects
- Education > Students & Student Life