Understanding Primary Mathematics
In this textbook, the foundations of mathematics are made explicit and the reader is guided through the background knowledge and understanding that are required for the subject, offering a well-structured overview of the important issues to be considered when learning about mathematics on a Primary QTS course, and a coherent approach to the content to be found in the standards for QTS, the National Curriculum at Key Stages 1 and 2 and the numeracy strategy.
The authors aim to help teachers review and restructure the understanding of mathematics gained during their education, progressing from partial memories of a few process to an understanding of why the skills they were taught make sense and how they fit into a coherent mathematics curriculum, arguing that to teach mathematics effectively it is not enough to be able to do the mathematics, you need to understand why you do what you do. Aimed at all teachers of primary mathematics, this book is also likely to be valuable to secondary teachers, parents, administrators and others interested in the foundations of school mathematics.
Written for trainee and practicing teachers, this book de-mystifies the primary mathematics UK curriculum and offers a valuable reference for effective mathematicss teaching.
240 pages; ISBN 9781135398453
, or download in
Title: Understanding Primary Mathematics
Author: Christine Hopkins; Ann Pope; Sandy Pepperell
Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites 2010 US$ 33.95 169 pages
Biology for the IB Diploma 2015 US$ 47.00 415 pages
- Academic > Mathematics > Elementary mathematics > Arithmetic; Study and teaching
- Academic > Mathematics > Elementary mathematics > Mathematics; Study and teaching (Elementary)
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Vinogradov, Ivan Matveevich, 1891-
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Mathematics; Periodicals
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Mathematics; Study and teaching; United States
- Education > Elementary
- Education > Teaching Methods & Materials