The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
An International History of Terrorism
Western and Non-Western Experiences
The aim of this book is to provide readers with the tools to understand the historical evolution of terrorism and counterterrorism over the past 150 years.
In order to appreciate the contemporary challenges posed by terrorism it is necessary to look at its evolution, at the different phases it has gone through, and the transformations it has experienced. The same applies to the solutions that states have come up with to combat terrorism: the nature of terrorism changes but still it is possible to learn from past experiences even though they are not directly applicable to the present.
This book provides a fresh look at the history of terrorism by providing in-depth analysis of several important terrorist crises and the reactions to them in the West and beyond. The general framework is laid out in four parts: terrorism prior to the Cold War, the Western experience with terrorism, non-Western experiences with terrorism, and contemporary terrorism and anti-terrorism. The issues covered offer a broad range of historical and current themes, many of which have been neglected in existing scholarship; it also features a chapter on the waves phenomenon of terrorism against its international background.
This book will be of much interest to students of terrorism studies, political violence, international history, security studies and IR.
336 pages; ISBN 9781136202797
, or download in or
More from this author
- International History of the Twentieth Century2003US$ 37.95561 pages
- International History of the Twentieth Century and Beyond2008US$ 45.95638 pages
More Political Science
- Academic > Sociology > Social pathology. Social and public welfare. Criminology > Criminology > Crimes and offenses
- Academic > Sociology > Social pathology. Social and public welfare. Criminology > Social service. Social work. Charity organization and practice
- Academic > Sociology > Social pathology. Social and public welfare. Criminology > Refugee problems
- Academic > History > Political and diplomatic history
- Political Science > Political Freedom & Security > Terrorism
- Political Science > International Relations