The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
Breastfeeding and Medication
Sadly, women often feel they have no alternative but to give up breastfeeding, having being prescribed or purchased medication. In many cases, however, this is unnecessary. This book outlines the evidence-base for the use of medication during breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding and Medication presents a comprehensive A-Z guide to the most frequently prescribed drugs and their safety for breastfeeding mothers. Evaluating the evidence for interventions and using a simple format for quickly identifying medications which are safe or unsafe to use, it also highlights those drugs where there is inconclusive evidence.
Additional contextual information makes this the most complete text for those practitioners who support and treat breastfeeding women. It:
- provides an overview of the anatomy and physiology of the breast together with hormonal influences in order to better understand how complications, such as mastitis, arise and inform the approach to their treatment
- includes a section on conditions that affect women specifically when they are lactating where prescription of medication may be necessary
- discusses the importance of breastfeeding and its advantages, as well as its disadvantages
- explores how to support breastfeeding mothers, and presents a counselling model approach.
Taking into account the recommendations of NICE Maternal and Child Nutrition guidelines, this is an invaluable reference for all health practitioners and volunteers who work with, support and treat breastfeeding women, including lactation consultants, breastfeeding support workers, health visitors, GPs, practice nurses, pharmacists and midwives.
336 pages; ISBN 9781136178153
, or download in or
More from this author
- Beginning DirectX 10 Game Programming2007US$ 29.99385 pages
- The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals2012US$ 11.65385 pages
Health Care Reform and American Politics 2010 US$ 12.99 232 pages
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks 2010 US$ 9.99 525 pages