An Accidental Statistician
The Life and Memories of George E. P. Box
Celebrating the life of an admired pioneer in statistics
In this captivating and inspiring memoir, world-renowned statistician George E. P. Box offers a firsthand account of his life and statistical work. Writing in an engaging, charming style, Dr. Box reveals the unlikely events that led him to a career in statistics, beginning with his job as a chemist conducting experiments for the British army during World War II. At this turning point in his life and career, Dr. Box taught himself the statistical methods necessary to analyze his own findings when there were no statisticians available to check his work.
Throughout his autobiography, Dr. Box expertly weaves a personal and professional narrative to illustrate the effects his work had on his life and vice-versa. Interwoven between his research with time series analysis, experimental design, and the quality movement, Dr. Box recounts coming to the United States, his family life, and stories of the people who mean the most to him.
This fascinating account balances the influence of both personal and professional relationships to demonstrate the extraordinary life of one of the greatest and most influential statisticians of our time. An Accidental Statistician also features:
• Two forewords written by Dr. Box’s former colleagues and closest confidants
• Personal insights from more than a dozen statisticians on how Dr. Box has influenced and continues to touch their careers and lives
• Numerous, previously unpublished photos from the author’s personal collection
An Accidental Statistician is a compelling read for statisticians in education or industry, mathematicians, engineers, and anyone interested in the life story of an influential intellectual who altered the world of modern statistics.
304 pages; ISBN 9781118514931
, or download in or
Title: An Accidental Statistician
Author: George E. P. Box
Commercializing Successful Biomedical Technologies 2008 US$ 44.00 361 pages
Electronics All-in-One For Dummies 2013 US$ 39.99 843 pages
- Academic > Mathematics > Probabilities. Mathematical statistics > Mathematical statistics
- Academic > Mathematics > Probabilities. Mathematical statistics > Mathematical statistics; History
- Academic > Mathematics > General
- Technology > Engineering > Industrial
- Mathematics > Probability & Statistics
- Mathematics > History & Philosophy
- Science > Experiments & Projects
- Biography & Autobiography > Science & Technology