Perspectives and Issues
This newest edition of a core graduate level textbook has added six new chapters to further enrich the "gerontological imagination," and encourage an interdisciplinary approach to the study of aging. Academically rigorous yet clear and accessible, the text provides the most current findings from leading gerontological researchers and practitioners. New and updated chapters examine biology, exercise science/nutrition, communication science, geriatric medicine and nursing, demography, anthropology, economics, human development, psychology, political science, sociology, social work, and law, to provide broadly drawn perspectives on the study of aging.
Special emphasis is placed on current challenges regarding policy and service delivery in the face of fiscal uncertainty. Additionally, this new edition covers international outlooks on aging given the increasing influence of globalization on individual lives. By interweaving knowledge from a broad range of disciplines, Wilmoth and Ferraro have created a comprehensive picture of gerontology today that will enhance course instruction and provide a new window into the future of the discipline.New chapters address:
- Geriatric medicine and nursing
- Communication disorders and aging
- International and cross-cultural perspectives on aging
- Public policy and the needs of diverse aging populations
- Geriatric social work
- Legal perspectives on aging
- Interweaves current gerontological research and ideas from multiple disciplines
- Addresses biology, psychology, human development, sociology, and economics as they relate to gerontology
- Presents additional disciplinary perspectives including exercise science/nutrition, communication science, geriatric medicine and nursing, demography, anthropology, political science, social work, and law.
- Includes Ferraro's classic chapter on "The Gerontological Imagination"
385 pages; ISBN 9780826109668
, or download in
Author: Kenneth Ferraro; Janet Wilmoth
More Social Science
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down 1998 US$ 9.99 339 pages
The Corner 2013 US$ 12.99 576 pages