Understanding Video Games
The Essential Introduction
This expanded and revised second edition of Understanding Video Games provides a comprehensive introduction to the growing field of game studies.
Understanding Video Games, 2nd Edition is an essential read for newcomers to video game studies and experienced game scholars alike. This follow-up to the pioneering first edition takes video game studies into the next decade of the twenty-first century, highlighting changes in the game business, advances in video game scholarship, and recent trends in game design and development—including mobile, social, and casual gaming.
In Understanding Video Games, 2nd Edition students will:
- Assess the major theories used to analyze games, such as ludology and narratology
- Gain familiarity with the commercial and organizational aspects of the game industry
- Trace the history of video games from Pong to Playstation 3 and beyond
- Explore the aesthetics of game design
- Evaluate the cultural position of video games
- Consider the potential effects of both violent and "serious" games.
Extensively illustrated, and featuring discussion questions, a glossary of key terms, and a detailed video game history timeline (including an interactive online version), Understanding Video Games, 2nd Edition is an indispensable resource for anyone interested in examining the ways video games are reshaping entertainment and society.
Title: Understanding Video Games
Author: Simon Egenfeldt-Nielsen; Jonas Heide Smith; Susana Pajares Tosca
Programming in Haskell 2016 US$ 32.50 322 pages
CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide 2015 US$ 61.50 1104 pages
Computer Age Statistical Inference 2016 US$ 53.99 497 pages
- Academic > Anthropology > Ethnology. Social and cultural anthropology > Cultural traits, customs, and institutions > Intellectual life, Including communication, recreation, philosophy, religion, knowledge, etc.
- Media > Media, Communication and Cultural Studies
- Games > Video & Electronic
- Social Science > Anthropology
- Computers > Social Aspects