Pentium Pro and Pentium II System Architecture
Written for computer hardware and software engineers, this book offers insight into how the Pentium Pro and Pentium II family of processors translates legacy x86 code into RISC instructions, executes them out of order, and then reassembles the result to match the original program flow. In detailing the Pentium Pro and Pentium II processors' internal operations, the book reveals why the processors generate various transaction types and how they monitor bus traffic generated by other entities to ensure cache consistency.
This new edition includes comprehensive coverage of the Pentium II processor. It highlights the differences between the Pentium Pro and Pentium II processors, in particular, the Slot 1 connector and the processor cartridge design utilized by the Pentium II and intended for use in future Intel processors. It features the Pentium II's support for the MMX instruction set and registers, and shows how it is optimized for 16-bit code execution. This book also describes the Pentium II's L2 cache and its support for power-conservation modes.
Pentium Pro and Pentium II System Architecture, Second Edition, also covers:
The PC System Architecture Series is a crisply written and comprehensive set of guides to the most important PC hardware standards. Each title is designed to illustrate the relationship between the software and hardware and explains thoroughly the architecture, features, and operations of systems built using one particular type of chip or hardware specification.
622 pages; ISBN 9780201309737
, or download in
Title: Pentium Pro and Pentium II System Architecture
Author: Tom Shanley; Inc. Mindshare
Program Logics for Certified Compilers 2014 US$ 14.99 469 pages
Managing Online Forums 2008 US$ 6.95 320 pages
- Academic > Computer Science > Computers - special aspects > Microprocessors > Pentium (Microprocessor)
- Academic > Computer Science > Computers - special aspects > Computer Brands > IBM 1130 ; Programming
- Academic > Computer Science > Computers - special aspects > Computer Brands > PET
- Academic > Computer Science > Computer science
- Academic > Computer Science > Electronic data processing
- Computers > Personal Computers & Microcomputers
- Computers > Networking
- Computers > Hardware
- Computers > Computer Architecture
- Computers > Logic Design
- Computers > Microelectronics