Oracle PL/SQL Performance Tuning Tips & Techniques
(If any tax is payable it will be calculated and shown at checkout.)
Print & copy permissions
About the author
Michael Rosenblum is a Software Architect/Senior DBA at Dulcian, Inc., where he is responsible for system tuning and application architecture. Michael supports Dulcian developers by writing complex PL/SQL routines and researching new features. He is an Oracle ACE, a frequent presenter at various Oracle user group conferences (Oracle OpenWorld, ODTUG, IOUG Collaborate, RMOUG, NYOUG), and winner of the ODTUG Kaleidoscope 2009 Best Speaker Award. In his native Ukraine, Michael received the scholarship of the president of Ukraine, a master of science degree in information systems, and a diploma with honors from the Kiev National University of Economics.
Dr. Paul Dorsey is the founder and president of Dulcian, Inc., an Oracle consulting firm specializing in business rules and web-based application development. He is the chief architect of Dulcian's Business Rules Information Manager (BRIM®) tool. Dr. Dorsey is the co-author of seven Oracle Press books on Designer, Database Design, Developer, and JDeveloper, which have been translated into nine languages. He is an Oracle Fusion Middleware Regional Director. Paul is President Emeritus of NYOUG and the Associate Editor of the International Oracle User Group's SELECT Journal. In 2003, Dr. Dorsey was honored by ODTUG as volunteer of the year, in 2001 by IOUG as volunteer of the year, and by Oracle as one of the six initial honorary Oracle 9i Certified Masters. Dr. Dorsey is also the founder and Chairperson of the ODTUG Symposium, currently in its eighth year. His submission of a Survey Generator built to collect data for The Preeclampsia Foundation was the winner of the 2007 Oracle Fusion Middleware Developer Challenge.
Proven PL/SQL Optimization Solutions
In Oracle PL/SQL Performance Tuning Tips & Techniques, Oracle ACE authors with decades of experience building complex production systems for government, industry, and educational organizations present a hands-on approach to enabling optimal results from PL/SQL. The book begins by describing the discovery process required to pinpoint performance problems and then provides measurable and repeatable test cases. In-depth coverage of linking SQL and PL/SQL is followed by deep dives into essential Oracle Database performance tuning tools. Real-world examples and best practices are included throughout this Oracle Press guide.
- Follow a request-driven nine-step process to identify and address performance problems in web applications
- Use performance-related database tools, including data dictionary views, logging, tracing, PL/SQL Hierarchical Profiler, PL/Scope, and RUNSTATS
- Instrument code to pinpoint performance issues using call stack APIs, error stack APIs, and timing markers
- Embed PL/SQL in SQL and manage user-defined functions
- Embed SQL in PL/SQL using a set-based approach to handle large volumes of data
- Properly write and deploy data manipulation language triggers to avoid performance problems
- Work with advanced datatypes, including LOBs and XML
- Use caching techniques to avoid redundant operations
- Effectively use dynamic SQL to reduce the amount of code needed and streamline system management
- Manage version control and ensure that performance fixes are successfully deployed
Code examples in the book are available for download.
; August 2014
336 pages; ISBN 9780071822183Read online
, or download in secure EPUB
or secure PDF format
Title: Oracle PL/SQL Performance Tuning Tips & Techniques
Author: Michael Rosenblum; Paul Dorsey