O'Brien's The Things They Carried
In CliffsNotes on The Things They Carried, you discover Tim O'Brien's powerful and innovative novel about the experiences of foot soldiers during and after the Vietnam War. Drawing largely on his own experiences during the war, the author creates a fictional protagonist who shares the author's own name, and allows this fictional "Tim O'Brien" to relate disturbing war stories as he creates an indictment against the wastefulness of war.
Chapter summaries and commentaries take you through Tim O'Brien's very personal journey. Critical essays give you insight into the novel's historical context, the novel's narrative structure, and the theme of loss of innocence. Other features that help you study include
- Character analyses of the main characters
- A character map that graphically illustrates the relationships among the characters
- A section on the life and background of Tim O'Brien
- A review section that tests your knowledge
- A Resource Center full of books, articles, films, and Internet sites
Classic literature or modern modern-day treasure — you'll understand it all with expert information and insight from CliffsNotes study guides.
128 pages; ISBN 9781118138373
, or download in or
Title: O'Brien's The Things They Carried
Author: Jill Colella
More Literary Criticism
Critique of the Power of Judgment 2000 US$ 36.00 477 pages
How to Read Literature Like a Professor Revised 2014 US$ 8.99 314 pages