The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
Watching the English
The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour
A runaway bestseller in the UK, Watching the English is now available in the U.S. for the first time! Witty and wise, Kate Fox reveals the quirks, habits, and foibles of the English people. Putting the national character under her microscope, Fox explores this strange and fascinating culture, governed by a complex set of unspoken rules and a bizarre code of conduct. Through anthropological analysis and a series of unorthodox experiments (often using herself as a reluctant guinea-pig), Fox discovers what these unwritten codes tell us about Englishness: the rules of weather-speak, the ironic-gnome rule, the reflex apology rule, the paranoid-pantomime rule, class anxiety tests, and the money-talk taboo, among others. Watching the English is a biting, affectionate, insightful, and often hilarious look at English society.
More Social Science
- Academic > History > History of Great Britain > England > History > Antiquities. Social life and customs. Ethnography > Modern, 1485-
- Academic > History > History of Great Britain > England > History > Political, military, naval, and Air Force history.
- Social Science > Anthropology > Cultural
- Travel > Europe > Great Britain
- Psychology & Psychiatry > Interpersonal Relations
- Social Science > Customs & Traditions