They Marched Into Sunlight

War and Peace Vietnam and America October 1967

They Marched Into Sunlight by David Maraniss
Here is the epic story of Vietnam and the sixties told through the events of a few tumultuous days in October 1967. David Maraniss takes the reader on an unforgettable journey to the battlefields of war and peace. With meticulous and captivating detail, They Marched Into Sunlight brings that catastrophic time back to life while examining questions about the meaning of dissent and the official manipulation of truth, issues that are as relevant today as they were decades ago.

In a seamless narrative, Maraniss weaves together three very different worlds of that time: the death and heroism of soldiers in Vietnam, the anger and anxiety of antiwar students back home, and the confusion and obfuscating behavior of officials in Washington. In the literature of the Vietnam era, there are powerful books about soldiering, excellent analyses of American foreign policy in Southeast Asia, and many dealing with the sixties' culture of protest, but this is the first book to connect the three worlds and present them in a dramatic unity. To understand what happens to the people of this story is to understand America's anguish.

In the Long Nguyen Secret Zone of Vietnam, a renowned battalion of the First Infantry Division is marching into a devastating ambush that will leave sixty-one soldiers dead and an equal number wounded. On the University of Wisconsin campus in Madison, students are staging an obstructive protest at the Commerce Building against recruiters for Dow Chemical Company, makers of napalm and Agent Orange, that ends in a bloody confrontation with club-wielding Madison police. And in Washington, President Lyndon Johnson is dealing with pressures closing in on him from all sides and lamenting to his war council, "How are we ever going to win?"

Based on thousands of primary documents and 180 on-the-record interviews, the story unfolds day by day, hour by hour, and at times minute by minute, with a rich cast of characters -- military officers, American and Viet Cong soldiers, chancellors, professors, students, police officers, businessmen, mime troupers, a president and his men, a future mayor and future vice president -- moving toward battles that forever shaped their lives and evoked cultural and political conflicts that reverberate still.
Simon & Schuster; October 2003
ISBN 9780743262552
Download in secure EPUB
Title: They Marched Into Sunlight
Author: David Maraniss

Buy, download and read They Marched Into Sunlight (eBook) by David Maraniss today!
National Writers Series releases new season of author visits - UpNorthLive.com
Fri, 05 Aug 2016 07:10:44 -0700
UpNorthLive.comNational Writers Series releases new season of author visitsUpNorthLive.com... David Maraniss is an associate ...
A History Written with Heart Illuminates the War in Vietnam - Huffington Post
Thu, 18 Feb 2016 10:40:37 -0800
Huffington PostA History Written with Heart Illuminates the War in VietnamHuffington Post... in protests. In They Marched Into ...
David Maraniss: How Detroit gave its middle class a song - Deutsche Welle
Thu, 07 Jan 2016 23:24:53 -0800
Deutsche WelleDavid Maraniss: How Detroit gave its middle class a songDeutsche WelleDavid Maraniss is an associate editor at ...