The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
Global Surgery Formula for the Casson-Walker Invariant. (AM-140)
This book presents a new result in 3-dimensional topology. It is well known that any closed oriented 3-manifold can be obtained by surgery on a framed link in S 3. In Global Surgery Formula for the Casson-Walker Invariant, a function F of framed links in S 3 is described, and it is proven that F consistently defines an invariant, lamda (l), of closed oriented 3-manifolds. l is then expressed in terms of previously known invariants of 3-manifolds. For integral homology spheres, l is the invariant introduced by Casson in 1985, which allowed him to solve old and famous questions in 3-dimensional topology. l becomes simpler as the first Betti number increases.
As an explicit function of Alexander polynomials and surgery coefficients of framed links, the function F extends in a natural way to framed links in rational homology spheres. It is proven that F describes the variation of l under any surgery starting from a rational homology sphere. Thus F yields a global surgery formula for the Casson invariant.
156 pages; ISBN 9781400865154
, or download in
IB Mathematics Standard Level 2012 US$ 58.80 800 pages
Discovering Statistics using IBM SPSS Statistics 2013 US$ 85.00 953 pages
- Academic > Mathematics > Geometry. Trigonometry.Topology > Manifolds (Mathematics)
- Academic > Mathematics > Geometry. Trigonometry.Topology > Differential topology
- Academic > Mathematics > Geometry. Trigonometry.Topology > Diffeomorphisms
- Academic > Mathematics > Geometry. Trigonometry.Topology > Surgery (Topology)
- Academic > Mathematics > Tables