The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
Architecture and Nature
Creating the American Landscape
Winner of the 2006 Alice Davis Hitchcock Award!
The word 'nature' comes from natura, Latin for birth - as do the words nation, native and innate. But nature and nation share more than a common root, they share a common history where one term has been used to define the other. In the United States, the relationship between nation and nature has been central to its colonial and post-colonial history, from the idea of the noble savage to the myth of the frontier. Narrated, painted and filmed, American landscapes have been central to the construction of a national identity.
Architecture and Nature presents an in-depth study of how changing ideas of what nature is and what it means for the country have been represented in buildings and landscapes over the past century.
385 pages; ISBN 9781134455393
, or download in
- Academic > Architecture, Landscape > Landscape gardening. Landscape architecture > Urban landscape architecture
- Academic > Architecture, Landscape > Architecture
- The Environment > Sustainable Architecture & Green Design
- Architecture > Design & Drafting
- Architecture > History
- Architecture > Landscape
- Science > Environmental Science