From Followers to Leaders
Managing Technology and Innovation
The last years have seen a profusion of books and articles on managing technology, focused almost exclusively on leading edge firms in leading edge countries. This book argues that succeeding as a follower-firm requires learning from many experiences and avoiding simplistic 'how-to' approaches that prescribe one best practice. Individual chapters cover:
* the role of innovation on the shop-floor
* the importance of mixing process and product innovation
* the challenges involved in building an innovation culture
* the special role of R&D and design.
These topics instruct a deeper understanding of strategy in follower-firms, simultaneously providing insight for public policy in building local technological capacity. Forbes and Wield argue that there are many 'leading edges' which appear in the most unlikely places. Their book contains major case studies from many different firms in twelve countries over five continents, in industry segments as diverse as pharmaceuticals, software, garments, beer and steel.
This informative book for students, researchers and professionals in the fields of business, management and information technology shows that successful experiences can arise anywhere in the world.
231 pages; ISBN 9781134529377
, or download in or
Title: From Followers to Leaders
Author: Naushad Forbes; David Wield
- Academic > Economics > Industries. Land use. Labor > Large industry. Factory system. Big business > Industrial policy
- Academic > Economics > Industries. Land use. Labor > Management. Industrial management > Technological innovations. Automation
- Academic > Economics > Industries. Land use. Labor > Industry
- Business > Development > Research & Development
- Business > Management
- Business > Leadership
- Business > International
- Business > Training
- Business > Quality Control
- Business > Entrepreneurship