Educating Children with Facial Disfigurement
Creating Inclusive School Communities
Children and young people who are visibly different face significant social and psychological challenges at school. Educating Children with Facial Disfigurement demystifies a difficult and delicate subject. Teachers and others working in education can use this book to acquire a better knowledge of the issues involved, as well as the confidence to handle sensitive issues and foster inclusive attitudes both in and out of the classroom.
There are many causes of facial disfigurement - birthmarks, cleft lip and palate, burns, scars and serious skin conditions - so it is essential that all schools know about the issues arising from visible difference. Jane Francis examines many of these issues and demonstrates in a practical way how to deal with:
* staring, curiosity and questions, teasing, name-calling and bullying
* medical needs, special educational needs and related issues
* creating inclusive school communities
* self-perception and self-expression
* career ideas, work experience and social skills for life.
With illustrative case studies, lesson ideas and references to useful resources, this book will be of particular relevance to teachers with responsibility for special educational needs or pastoral care.
128 pages; ISBN 9781134464135
, or download in or
Title: Educating Children with Facial Disfigurement
Author: Jane Frances
From Discipline to Culturally Responsive Engagement 2013 US$ 34.95 233 pages
The Edcamp Model 2014 US$ 11.95 73 pages
The Adult Student's Guide to Survival & Success 2008 US$ 12.00 176 pages
Teacher Evaluation to Enhance Professional Practice 2000 US$ 24.95 167 pages
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Education of special classes of persons > Exceptional children and youth. Special education > Children and youth with disabilities. Learning disabled children and youth
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Moral and religious education > Religion and education. Education under church control > Christian education. Church education
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Forms of education > Home education
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Inclusive education
- Education > Special Education
- Education > Educational Psychology