The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
Journalism in Wartime
Reporting War explores the social responsibilities of the journalist during times of military conflict. News media treatments of international crises, especially the one underway in Iraq, are increasingly becoming the subject of public controversy, and discussion is urgently needed.
Each of this book's contributors challenges familiar assumptions about war reporting from a distinctive perspective. An array of pressing issues associated with conflicts over recent years are identified and critiqued, always with an eye to what they can tell us about improving journalism today.
Special attention is devoted to recent changes in journalistic forms and practices, and the ways in which they are shaping the visual culture of war, and issues discussed, amongst many, include:
- the influence of censorship and propaganda
- 'us' and 'them' news narratives
- access to sources
- '24/7 rolling news' and the 'CNN effect'
- military jargon (such as 'friendly fire' and 'collateral damage')
- 'embedded' and 'unilateral' reporters
- tensions between objectivity and patriotism.
The book raises important questions about the very future of journalism during wartime, questions which demand public dialogue and debate, and is essential reading for students taking courses in news and news journalism, as well as for researchers, teachers and practitioners in the field.
448 pages; ISBN 9781134298655
, or download in or
Title: Reporting War
Author: Stuart Allan; Barbie Zelizer
How the World Sees You 2014 US$ 16.99 256 pages
The Essential Financial Toolkit 2010 US$ 46.00 195 pages
- Academic > Journalism and Media > Communication. Mass media > Mass media; Moral and ethical aspects
- Academic > Journalism and Media > Journalism. The periodical press, etc. > Technique. Practical journalism
- Academic > Literature > Journalism. The periodical press, etc. > Technique. Practical journalism
- Academic > Literature > Literary history > Biography
- Academic > Literature > Periodicals
- Academic > Literature > Theory. Philosophy. Esthetics
- Media > Media, Communication and Cultural Studies
- Current Events > Mass Media
- Language Arts & Disciplines > Journalism
- Business > Industries