Girls, Boys and Junior Sexualities
Exploring Childrens' Gender and Sexual Relations in the Primary School
Girls, Boys and Junior Sexualities takes an insightful and in-depth look at the hidden worlds of young children's sexualities. Based upon extensive group interviews and observation, the author illustrates how sexuality is embedded in children's school-based cultures and gender identities. From examining children's own views and experiences, the book explores a range of topical and sensitive issues, including how:
- the primary school is a key social arena for 'doing' sexuality
- sexuality shapes children's friendships and peer relations
- being a 'proper' girl or boy involves investing in a heterosexual identity
- children use gendered or sexual insults to maintain gender and sexual norms.
Grounded in children's real-life experiences, this book traces their struggles, anxieties, desires and pleasures as they make sense of their emerging sexualities. It also includes frank and open discussions of the pressures of compulsory heterosexuality, the boyfriend/girlfriend culture, misogyny and sexual harassment.
Girls, Boys and Junior Sexualities is a timely and powerful resource for researchers, educationalists and students in childhood studies, sociology and psychology and will be of great interest to professionals and policy makers working with young children.
192 pages; ISBN 9781134377756
, or download in or
Title: Girls, Boys and Junior Sexualities
Author: Emma Renold
A Teacher's Guide to Change 2009 US$ 33.95 177 pages
Business Management for the IB Diploma 2015 US$ 43.00 602 pages
Biology for the IB Diploma Standard Digital Edition Coursebook 2015 US$ 47.00 415 pages
The Dreamkeepers 2013 US$ 22.95 256 pages
- Academic > Sociology > The Family. Marriage. Women > The family. Marriage. Home > Children. Child development
- Academic > Family and Consumer Sciences > Children, child development
- Psychology & Psychiatry > Human Sexuality
- Education > Preschool & Kindergarten
- Education > Elementary
- Education > Philosophy & Social Aspects