The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
Buying a Computer For Dummies
Are you baffled by computer technology and technology? Intimidated by computer salespeople who grimace or grin when you say “gizmo?” Buying a Computer For Dummies 2005 Edition gives you the ABCs of buying a computer. You don’t have to be able to talk tech; you just have to know what you want and how to get it. This guide turns evaluating the mind-boggling options into a simple five-step process, complete with software and hardware worksheets to help you pick a computer just for you. You’ll discover how to:
- Choose the right software for your needs
- Pick the right peripherals, including monitor, printer, scanner, modem, keyboard, and more
- Spend “extra” money strategically to get more computer power for your buck
- Choose disk drives, including info on CD-ROM, DVD, Floppy, Zip, and flash memory cards
- Be sure you get support
Written by Dan Gookin, the author of DOS for Dummies, the bestseller that spawned the entire line of For Dummies books, plus many other For Dummies big sellers, Buying a Computer For Dummies is updated to incorporate the latest technologies. It covers processor upgrades, flat panel displays, new peripherals, laptops, tablet PCs, wireless systems, and more. You’ll find information on:
- Choosing a digital camera and getting images from it into your computer
- Getting a network card (NIC) for a broadband modem if you want the fastest Internet connection
- Making the right decisions: CRT or LCD monitor? Laser printer or ink jet? Wired network or wireless?
- Software for word processing, databases, desktop publishing, home budgeting, spreadsheets, graphics. and more
- Essential utilities, including antivirus, anti-spyware, and firewall software
It also arms you with important questions to ask a dealer and warning signs to look for in ads or sales pitches. Whether you are buying your very first computer, considering upgrading your current system, or replacing a system that’s outdated by today’s standards, this guide gets you past the jargon and into the wise buying mode. ASAP. PDQ.
Oh, and it also tells you what all of the acronyms at the top stand for!
338 pages; ISBN 9780764579783
, or download in
No Place to Hide 2014 US$ 12.99 256 pages
Program Logics for Certified Compilers 2014 US$ 14.99 469 pages