The United States and Latin America
A History of American Diplomacy, 1776-2000
Providing a concise, balanced and incisive analysis of US diplomatic relations with Latin America from 1776 to the end of the twentieth century, this timely work explores central themes such as the structure of international relations, and the pursuit of American national interest by the use of diplomacy, cultural imperialism and economic and military power.
Joseph Smith examines:
* the rise of the USA as an independent power
* its policy towards Latin-American movements for independence
* the evolution of the Monroe Doctrine
* dollar diplomacy
* the challenge of communism.
Highlighting Latin American responses to US policy over a significant time span, the study documents the development of a complex historical relationship in which the United States has claimed a pre-eminent role, arousing as much resentment as acquiescence from its southern neighbours.
Including a timely discussion of the current issues of debt, trade and narcotics control, this unique and valuable study will be of interest to all those with an interest in US and Latin American international relations.
217 pages; ISBN 9781134245321
, or download in
Title: The United States and Latin America
Author: Joseph Smith
Access to History for the IB Diploma: Peacemaking, peacekeeping - international relations 1918-36 2012 US$ 22.38 249 pages
Killing Patton 2014 US$ 12.99 304 pages
Unbroken 2010 US$ 11.99
History for the IB Diploma: The Great Depression and the Americas 192939 2012 US$ 16.00 242 pages
- Academic > History > United States local history > Atlantic coast. Middle Atlantic States > New Jersey
- Academic > History > Latin America. Spanish America > Latin America (General)
- Academic > History > United States local history > New England
- Academic > History > Political and diplomatic history
- History > United States > 20th Century
- History > United States > Colonial Period (1600-1775)
- History > United States > Civil War Period (1850-1877)
- History > Military > Vietnam War
- Political Science > International Relations > Diplomacy
- History > Americas (North, Central, South, West Indies)
- History > Latin America