Assessment, Treatment, and Prevention of Suicidal Behavior
The eighth leading cause of death in the United States and the second leading cause among U.S. teens, suicide is unique in being self-inflicted and is, as such, often preventable. By assessing the risk of suicide accurately, providing effective treatment according to this risk, and implementing strategies against suicidal urges, mental health professionals can successfully guide their clients away from this senseless taking of life.
Assessment, Treatment, and Prevention of Suicidal Behavior provides the most current and comprehensive source of information, guidelines, and case studies for working with clients at risk of suicide. It offers clinicians, counselors, and other mental health professionals a practical toolbox on three main areas of interest:
- Screening and Assessment covers empirically based assessment techniques and how they can define dimensions of vulnerability and measure the risk of self-destructive behavior. Authors discuss research on the use of each screening instrument, guidelines and suggestions for using the instrument in practice, and a case study illustrating its application.
- Intervention and Treatment compares several different approaches for structuring psychotherapy with suicidal clients. Each author covers a psychotherapy system, its application to suicidal clients, and a case study of its real-world use.
- Suicide and Violence explores the relationship between suicidal individuals and violence, covering suicide in specific contexts such as school violence, police confrontations, and terrorist violence. This section also includes a discussion of the increased risk of suicide in our more insecure and violent world, as well as how topromote coping styles for these new anxieties.
502 pages; ISBN 9780471684855
, or download in
Title: Assessment, Treatment, and Prevention of Suicidal Behavior
Author: Robert I Yufit; David Lester
- Academic > Health Sciences > Internal medicine > Neurosciences. Biological psychiatry. Neuropsychiatry > Neurology. Diseases of the nervous system > Psychiatry > Psychopathology > Personality disorders. Behavior problems
- Academic > Health Sciences > Internal medicine > Neurosciences. Biological psychiatry. Neuropsychiatry > Neurology. Diseases of the nervous system > Psychiatry > Mental retardation. Developmental disabilities
- Psychology & Psychiatry > Psychopathology > Compulsive Behavior
- Medicine > Neurology
- Psychology & Psychiatry > Clinical Psychology
- Psychology & Psychiatry > Suicide