The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
State Projects, Globalisation and Local Responses in China
To make a place is to create a location where its creators can feel they belong. Processes of place-making are still very much ongoing today. Geographers, sociologists, political scientists and philosophers of advanced capitalism have said that place is a localisation of the global. However, the creation of a place is not legible from such grand perspectives. It is also much more creative than can be predicted by translating large-scale processes into local cultures.
Anthropologists have been sensitive to the intimate, tragic and lyrical senses of local place. But their theorising has been too much bound up with cosmology and insufficiently with the intermediate scales of state and local state.
In this book, Stephan Feuchtwang and his contributors offer a set of historical, anthropological and scale-mediated studies from China - a country that includes a subcontinental variety of cultures and landscapes. In the twentieth century it experienced collapse in civil war and was then reasserted as a particularly strong state. Now it is managing the fastest growing capitalist economy in the world. These intriguing Chinese studies contribute to the anthropology of place and space, providing an historical perspective on processes of change and of accommodation to disruption.
The stories they tell are fascinating in their own right, but in addition, the result is a critical reformulation of previous theories of place that geographers, philosophers, historians, and anthropologists will find of great interest.
200 pages; ISBN 9781135393557
, or download in or
More from this author
- Academic > Law > Asia and Eurasia, Africa, Pacific Area, and Antarctica > Asia > South Asia. Southeast Asia. East Asia
- Academic > Law > Law in general. Comparative and uniform law. Jurisprudence > Comparative law. International uniform law > Constitutional law
- Academic > Law > Law in general. Comparative and uniform law. Jurisprudence > Periodicals
- Academic > Law > Law in general. Comparative and uniform law. Jurisprudence > Jurisprudence. Philosophy and theory of law
- Academic > Sociology > Social history and conditions. Social problems. Social reform > By region or country
- Academic > Geography > Philosophy. Relation to other topics. Methodology
- Law > Constitutional