Organizing Women in Contemporary Russia

Engendering Transition

Organizing Women in Contemporary Russia by Valerie Sperling
US$ 36.00 US$ 29.52
This book offers the first comprehensive analysis of the contemporary Russian women's movement and of the social, political, economic, historical, and international contexts that surround it. Valerie Sperling paints a vivid portrait of the women's movement's formation and development, paying particular attention to the key challenges facing a social movement in post-communist society, including the virtual absence of civil society, constant flux in political institutions, wrenching economic changes, and the movement's own status in a changing transnational environment. The author also addresses the specific challenges facing women's organizations by discussing societal attitudes towards feminism in Russia. Based on participant observation, primary source materials, and dozens of interviews conducted in Moscow (as well as two smaller Russian cities), the narrative brings alive the activists' struggle to build a social movement under difficult conditions, and sheds new light on the troubled and complex process of Russia's democratization.
Cambridge University Press; November 1999
Title: Organizing Women in Contemporary Russia
Author: Valerie Sperling

Clark professor's 'Sex, Politics, and Putin' receives two prestigious book prizes - Clark University News Hub
Mon, 19 Oct 2015 12:20:44 -0700
Clark University News HubClark professor's 'Sex, Politics, and Putin' receives two prestigious book prizesClark ...
Sex, Politics, and Putin: Clark University professor's new book explores political legitimacy in Russia - Clark University News Hub
Wed, 19 Nov 2014 09:27:10 -0800
Clark University News HubSex, Politics, and Putin: Clark University professor's new book explores political legitimacy in ...
“Happy Birthday, Mr. Putin!”: celebrating political masculinity in Russia - OUPblog (blog)
Fri, 05 Dec 2014 02:39:27 -0800
“Happy Birthday, Mr. Putin!”: celebrating political masculinity in RussiaOUPblog (blog)Valerie Sperling is Professor of ...
0511033230
9780511033230
9780521660174