The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
Visions of Charity
Volunteer Workers and Moral Community
Allahyari explores these agencies' differing ideological orientations and the raced, classed, and gendered contexts they provide volunteers for doing charitable work. Drawing on participant observation, intensive interviewing, and content analysis of organizational publications, she looks in particular at the process of self-improvement for these volunteers. The competing visions of charity Allahyari finds at these two organizations reveal the complicated and contradictory politics of caring for the poor in the United States today.
300 pages; ISBN 9780520935327
, or download in
- Academic > Religion > Abrahamic Religions > Christianity > Practical Theology
- Academic > Divinity and Practical Theology > Practical church work. > Church work with the homeless
- Social Science > Volunteer Work
- Social Science > Philanthropy & Charity
- Social Science > Poverty
- History > United States
- History > Americas (North, Central, South, West Indies)