for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...

Remedial Fractions

For students aged 10+ requiring assistance in understanding math concepts related to fractions.

Remedial Fractions
This Blackline Masters remediation series is designed to provide Grade 6-8 students with the necessary skills and knowledge of mathematical concepts required for their grade level and can be used both in the classroom and as a "take-home" package for extra consolidation of concepts. Remediation for many students is frequently associated with a reduced self esteem as students are aware that they are working behind the rest of the class, especially when text books and worksheets for lower grades are used to help them to catch up. Mathematics education encompasses a wide range of topics and concepts, many of which are only briefly dealt with in the classroom due to time constraints. It is important that these fundamental concepts are understood before students move onto the next mastery level. Students often fail to grasp all concepts and are unable to catch up to the level at which the rest of the class are working. It is here that the real difficulty for these students begins as they will sometimes withdraw from activities and miss further valuable concepts, simply because they had not mastered the prerequisite skills. The reading and content level in this book is appropriate to the age of the student, even though many of the remedial activities are focused on previous stages of the math curriculum. It is hoped that this series will boost students’ self esteem as they realize that they are able to successfully complete the math activities in the book. In addition, students will not feel as if they are doing "baby" work as is the case when math sheets for 8 year olds are given to 12 year old students. For best results the series should be used to complement a remedial math program for a small group or for individual students who need to catch up. Many of the worksheets explain the mathematical concepts and provide examples. However, it is assumed that this is not the student's first experience with the concept. Each book in the series follows the same format and is directed at a particular age group, yet can be used in the high school situation if required. The Challenge question at the bottom of most pages tests the child's knowledge of the mathematical concept for that particular page. The Challenge is usually presented as a word problem in a real world context so as to highlight the need for the skill. This book explains the basic concepts of fractions, including the relationship between fractions, decimals and percentages. The activities are sequenced in line with standard syllabus structures, covering a number of stages as opposed to a straight grade level, and are basically designed to provide students with the opportunity to catch up on much needed mathematical skills.
Ready-Ed Publications; June 1998
Excerpt

Word Problems:

1. Jessica has three bread rolls and has cut them into quarters.

How many quarters does she have altogether?

2. Simon has four red marbles and six blue marbles. He gave two of
the red marbles to Fiona and three of the blue marbles to John.

What fraction of each color did Simon give away?

3. Natalie has six pieces of fruit and two pieces are bananas.
A third of the pieces are apricots and the rest are pears.

How many of each fruit does she have?

4. There are ten students in the art class. One fifth of the class are painting and two
tenths of the class are drawing. Six tenths are making pottery.
How many students are doing each activity?

5. Mark has sixteen apples and Tony has eight. Mark has eaten
eight of his apples and Tony has eaten three.

What fraction does Mark have left?

What fraction does Tony have left?

6. Sandra has twelve socks in her draw. One third of the socks are red and the rest are blue. How many blue socks does Sandra have?

7. Donelle is sharing her birthday cake with four friends. She has cut the cake into ten pieces. What fraction will each person receive?

8. Tarlie has counted twenty students in her class and has noticed that five of the students wear glasses. What fraction of the students do not wear glasses?

9. Fiona and Peter played twelve games of chess. If Fiona won nine games, what fraction did Peter win?

10. Steve sells hot dogs at the football. He had enough supplies for 100 hot dogs. At the end of the day he had twenty hot dogs left over. What fraction did Steve sell?

11. In Jamie's math quiz there were 30 questions of which he answered twenty five correctly. What fraction did Jamie answer incorrectly?

12. Jason is captain of his soccer team and there are twelve boys in the squad. Four boys were injured in the last game. What fraction of the team were injured?