for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...

Remedial Number

For students aged 10+ requiring assistance in understanding math concepts related to number.

Remedial Number
Remediation for many students is frequently associated with a reduced self esteem as students are aware that they are working behind the rest of the class, especially when text books and worksheets for lower grades are used to help them to catch up. This fundamental series is designed to provide Grade 6-8 students with the necessary skills and knowledge of mathematical concepts required for their year level and can be used both in the classroom and as a "take-home" package for extra consolidation of concepts. Mathematics education encompasses a wide range of topics and concepts, many of which are only briefly dealt with in the classroom due to time constraints. It is important that these fundamental concepts are understood before students move onto the next mastery level. Students often fail to grasp all concepts and are unable to catch up to the level at which the rest of the class are working. It is here that the real difficulty for these students begins as they will sometimes withdraw from activities and miss further valuable concepts, simply because they had not mastered the prerequisite skills. The reading and style is appropriate to the age of the student, even though many of the activities are focused on previous stages of the math curriculum. It is hoped that this series will boost the students’ self esteem as they realize that they are able to successfully complete the math activities in the book. In addition, students will not feel as if they are doing "baby" work as is the case when math sheets for 8-10 year olds are given to 12-14 year old students. For best results this photocopy masters series should be used to complement a remedial math program for a small group or for individual students who need to catch up. Many of the worksheets explain the mathematical concepts and provide examples, however, it is assumed that this is not the student’s first experience with the concept. Each book in the series follows the same format and is directed at a particular age group, yet can be used in the high school situation if required. The Challenge questions and word problems at the bottom of some pages test the student’s knowledge of the mathematical concept for that particular page. The challenge is usually presented as a word problem in a real world context so as to highlight the need for the skill. This book explains the basic concepts of number, exploring in detail the processes of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Decimals are explored in detail as well as the relationship between decimals and percentages. The activities are sequenced in line with the standard curriculum structure, covering a number of stages as opposed to activities restricted to one year level. The activities are basically designed to provide students with the opportunity to catch up on much needed mathematical skills.
Ready-Ed Publications; June 1998
Excerpt

Solve the Word Problems

1. Tiffany spent $1.30 at the candy shop and Jacinta spent $6.55.

What was the total amount spent?

2. Jake had $364 saved in the bank. He also had
$28.75 in his pocket and $3.80 in his car. How much money did he have altogether?

3. Brad ran 6.23 km on Sunday afternoon and then 5.79 km on
Monday. On Tuesday he jogged a distance of 24.4 km. What was the total distance he ran over the three days?

4. Alison and Matt were comparing prices for computers and
printers. They were shown three separate deals. The first
deal included a printer costing $989 and a computer costing
$2899. The second deal involved a secondhand printer at
$755 and a computer marked at $2995, and the third deal
had a printer for $905 and a computer for $2795.

Which is the least expensive package?

5. Chrissie and Shane were painting the parlor. They used 395 mL of paint on the first
coat and then another 275 mL touching up the corners. They then coated the walls
another time and used up 455 mL.

How much paint did they use altogether?

6. Donelle read six books during the week with the following number of pages - 354, 633, 23, 855, 125, 122. How many pages did she read altogether?

7. Tarlie grows sunflowers in her garden. Last year she counted 276 flowers and this year
she counted 452 flowers.

What is the total number of sunflowers she has grown?

8. Billy had 657 jelly beans in a jar. He gave some to Samantha, and he now has 534 left. How many jelly beans did he give to Samantha?

9. Kyle weighed 97.54 kg. After taking up exercise he lost 13.85 kg. What is his current weight?

10. Amanda and Taylor spent most of the weekend doing assignments. On Saturday they
worked for 5 hours and 15 minutes. On Sunday morning they worked 3 hours and 10
minutes and in the evening they spent another 3 hours and 35 minutes studying.

What was the total amount of time they spent studying?

11. In a basketball season, Michael scored 143 points, Kimberly scored 167 points, and Megan scored 25 points. What was their combined score?