Ancient Egypt

Ancient Egypt

This blackline master book is designed to make use of the enormous amount of information that is available through the Internet. In doing so, students will achieve the following learning outcomes:

o Using recognized research skills to respond to questions posed as focusing activities.

o Using recognized research skills to extrapolate information from Internet references.

o Using selected World Wide Web addresses to extend understanding on the theme.

o Using a variety of net search engines to expand on the information available.

o Using the links provided at addresses to broaden the scope of their investigations.

Ancient Egypt Themes

The book provides students with opportunities to explore Ancient Egypt, The Pyramids, The Great Sphinx, Egyptian Religion and Mythology, The Afterlife and Mummification, Egyptian Art and Artefacts, Egyptian Art and Artefacts, Hieroglyphics, Famous Egyptians, and Lost Temples.

Book Structure

This structure is based on the premise that students will start Activity One and move through the sequence of activities until they complete the book.

However the entry point for each student should be at the discretion of the teacher/parent or indeed, students themselves. The lockstep structure means that there may be little point in experienced students continuing to do introductory activities (i.e. Net Research 1,2 and 3) in subsequent books after having done these once or twice. As the publishers don’t have access to this information, all books in the series provide the full sequence of activities in the hope that guidance will be given as to the student’s entry point.

The activity sequence in each book is:

1. Information and Practise in Research Skills.

It should be kept firmly in mind that the Internet is simply a source of information just as
an encyclopedia or a CD-ROM is. Without being equipped with the proper research
skills, children’s Internet investigations will be no different than the futile practice of
copying large chunks of text from reference books.

2. Information and Practise in using Web Pages.

There are a number of conventions that need to be followed in order to gain full benefit
from Net resources. Children need to be informed about these and be able to practise
them.
They will quickly learn that the operation of the Internet is far from perfect and they need to be
equipped with some strategies to use when problems are encountered.

3. An ‘Address Book’ for children to record new addresses (URLs).

4. Focusing Activities (Level 1 - Gathering Information)

The activities in this section are designed to have students utilizing Net addresses that
have been specially selected for the theme.
Questions will be literal and will refer to information on the screen. Completion of these
activities will provide students with a basic understanding of the concept being
investigated.

Ready-Ed Publications; February 1997
Excerpt

The Great Sphinx

First click on Ancient Egypt, Page 13, then Site 1.

Also, click on Site 2.

A sphinx is an imaginary creature of ancient myths. The ancient Greeks first used the term "sphinx" to describe the huge stone statues that they saw during their visits to Egypt. The Egyptians often made statues of sphinxes to honor a king or queen, modelling the face of such a sphinx after the honored person. The largest, oldest and most famous sphinx statue lies in the desert near Giza in Egypt. It is known as the Great Sphinx and was supposedly built about 4,500 years ago.

Journey to Web Site 1 and read about this wonder of the world.

The Great Sphinx has the body of a and the head of a _______________.

What does the sphinx symbolize?

What has happened to the sphinx over the years?

Who used the nose for target practice?

There are many fascinating pictures of the Great Sphinx on the WWW. Search for some of them starting at NM’s Creative Impulse World History at
Site 3.
This site also contains some very good links. Don’t forget to record your links in your address book for future reference.

The sphinx was originally painted with bright colors. Visit some of the galleries and museums to find a large picture of the sphinx and print it out. Use your imagination to decorate and color the sphinx using the Egyptian colors that are found in a lot of their artwork.