Astronomy and Space

Providing students the opportunities to explore the mysteries and excitement of space

Astronomy and Space

This blackline master book is designed to make use of the enormous amount of information that is available through the Internet. In doing so, students will achieve the following learning outcomes:

o Using recognized research skills to respond to questions posed as focusing activities.

o Using recognized research skills to extrapolate information from Internet references.

o Using selected World Wide Web addresses to extend understanding on the theme.

o Using a variety of net search engines to expand on the information available.

o Using the links provided at addresses to broaden the scope of their investigations.

Ancient Egypt Themes

The book provides students with opportunities to explore outer space including the solar system (planets, moons etc.) celestial bodies, lunar and solar eclipses, stars and constellations, space travel and exploration and much more.

Book Structure

This structure is based on the premise that students will start Activity One and move through the sequence of activities until they complete the book.

However the entry point for each student should be at the discretion of the teacher/parent or indeed, students themselves. The lockstep structure means that there may be little point in experienced students continuing to do introductory activities (i.e. Net Research 1,2 and 3) in subsequent books after having done these once or twice. As the publishers don?t have access to this information, all books in the series provide the full sequence of activities in the hope that guidance will be given as to the student?s entry point.

The activity sequence in each book is:

1. Information and Practise in Research Skills.

It should be kept firmly in mind that the Internet is simply a source of information just as
an encyclopedia or a CD-ROM is. Without being equipped with the proper research
skills, children?s Internet investigations will be no different than the futile practice of
copying large chunks of text from reference books.

2. Information and Practise in using Web Pages.

There are a number of conventions that need to be followed in order to gain full benefit
from Net resources. Children need to be informed about these and be able to practise
them.
They will quickly learn that the operation of the Internet is far from perfect and they need to be
equipped with some strategies to use when problems are encountered.

3. An ?Address Book? for children to record new addresses (URLs).

4. Focusing Activities (Level 1 - Gathering Information)

The activities in this section are designed to have students utilizing Net addresses that
have been specially selected for the theme.
Questions will be literal and will refer to information on the screen. Completion of these
activities will provide students with a basic understanding of the concept being
investigated.

Ready-Ed Publications; February 1997
Excerpt

The Moon

LEVEL 1

Visit the Star Child web site
First click on Astronomy and Space, Page 14, then Site 1.

The moon is the only other place that has been visited by humans in the solar system and

is the Earth?s nearest neighbor in space. Although it is the brightest object in the night sky, it gives off no light of its own. It travels around the Earth once approximately every 27 1/3 days and a rocket journey from Earth to the moon takes about six days.

Look at the Star Child site to read about the moon. Answer these questions.

Do we always see the same side of the moon?

What is the Dark Side of the moon?

Who was the first man on the moon?

Who accompanied him onto the moon?s surface and what words were spoken?

?

LEVEL 2

Visit this site to help you with these:
Moon?s Surface: http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/solar_sytem_level2/moon.html

What is one of the explanations for the formation of the moon?

?

List some substances that have been found on the moon.

?

Draw a sketch of the moon?s surface.
What is thought to have caused the large
craters that appear in the moon?s surface?

?

Click on Site 2 from the web page.

Travel to Site 2 and find out everything you can about man?s visits to the moon. You may like to explore some of the online references to help you with your research. Don?t forget to keep track of any cool websites on your list.

LEVEL 3 Partner Work - Interview:
As a television reporter you get to meet some interesting people but your greatest ever moment was the exclusive interview you did with Neil Armstrong shortly after his return from the moon.
On a blank tape record the questions you asked and include Neil Armstrong?s answers.