Math Number Games

Photocopiable board games for consolidating times tables and number skills.

Math Number Games by Suzanne Walsh
This blackline master book contains maths games which are an ideal resource to bring students up to speed with their number skills, particularly in multiplication. Many students who fail to grasp the basics continue to struggle with maths as they move into the upper levels and into secondary education. Students are usually reluctant to complete pages of multiplication sums that often bear no meaning for them. Through the use of the games included in this book, the teacher will be providing appealing and challenging learning opportunities that will inspire students to master their knowledge of times tables and basic number facts. An opportunity to talk with peers about a maths focus in an "incidental" setting makes learning more meaningful and consolidates understandings. Using games fosters confidence that many children lack when approaching mathematical tasks. These games are suitable for several different age groups according to their needs. All games have clear and simple instructions so that interest is maintained. They may be used in a variety of ways:  in small groups;  in pairs;  in class sessions with several different games, and the groups rotate;  for "early finishers";  as a homework exercise to be shared in a family setting;  in libraries as a lunchtime activity;  in special education units;  for peer tutoring;  as a class resource for revision and consolidation;  as an activity for observing mathematical thinking, skills and strategies. Presentation Games may be laminated in A3 or A4 size, preferably on colored card. Cards with images (junior levels) can be colored in prior to laminating. Templates are included allowing for teachers to add their own numbers and so on. These games are also popular with families, as they engage siblings at different maths levels in an enjoyable activity.

Wherever these games are played, children are thinking mathematically!

Ready-Ed Publications; June 2004
Title: Math Number Games
Author: Suzanne Walsh

Buy, download and read Math Number Games (eBook) by Suzanne Walsh today!

7 x Tables - Dice Board Game

How to Play:

Each player has a different colored counter. Roll the dice. If you land on an empty space, stay there until your next roll. If you land on a space with a number, work out how many 7’s are in that number. You may then move that many more spaces. For example, if you land on 35, you may go 5 more spaces, then follow any arrows you land on. First to the end wins.

(Template of board game provided)