Speak Up

Speech-based activities to improve confidence and competence in public speaking.

Speak Up

Speak Up is a public speaking course aimed at intermediate/challenging students.

The book’s aims are twofold: For Teachers: To provide a range of speech-based activities which can be adapted across the curriculum. For Students: To provide a range of experiences in verbal expression and so improve confidence and competence in public speaking.

Rationale

An important part of successful communication is the ability to speak successfully. Adults must be able to speak clearly and succinctly in a variety of situations, from private social gatherings to business meetings. Speaking and listening skills are important for interviews, consumer activities and so much more. Yet an alarming number of students leave school without having achieved these skills. One reason for this is that students learn to fear these situations at an early age. Another reason is that teachers find it difficult to create opportunities for practising and developing public speaking skills.

This book attempts to alleviate these difficulties by providing a range of activities to hone public speaking skills, with a focus on delivery, voice use and audience.

Speak Up focuses on meeting the needs of the Speaking and Listening element of the Language curriculum.

Related Standard: Students speak and listen with purpose, understanding and critical awareness
in a wide range of contexts.

Ready-Ed Publications; April 2001
Excerpt

Section 2: Formal Speeches

This section aims to develop students’ skills and confidence in formal speech situations.

Activities cover three speech situations – the informative speech, the persuasive speech and the entertaining speech. For each speech format there are a series of activities culminating in the presentation of a formal speech to the whole class. Preparation Cards have been provided below, which can be used by students as they practise their speeches.

For the informative and persuasive speeches a peer evaluation sheet is included. This is to encourage students to learn to critically evaluate other students and to give each student the opportunity for feedback from peers. This should complement any formal teacher feedback rather than replacing it.

There is no evaluation sheet for the entertaining speeches because of their subjective nature.

Now that you have written your speech you need to get ready to present it.
The following is a list of guidelines for presenting your speech. Practise your speech
with a partner, then, with their help, write yes or no next to each guideline.

• Speak clearly
  • Stand straight and look at your audience
  • Vary your voice and look at your audience
  • Keep note use to a minimum
  • Keep speech time close to the set limit
  • Use facial expressions and gestures for emphasis

Now, practise your speech again, focusing on improving any area which you wrote a
‘no’ next to. Be ready to present your speech to the class.

Now that you have written your speech you need to prepare to present it. Remember
that the key here is to be persuasive – both with what you say and how you say it.

• Speak clearly