Phonics Games

Photocopiable board games for consolidating phonic skills.

Phonics Games
Phonics board games give students practice in an enjoyable and interesting form. They present opportunities for students to engage in the language pertaining to the focus. Repeated playing builds and consolidates skills in word building and extends thinking to use phonics in context, making learning more meaningful. These photocopiable phonics games are an ideal resource to bring students up to speed with their language skills and can be used as a remedial tool, however, the emphasis is on making learning more enjoyable. All games have clear and simple instructions so that interest is maintained. There are five different board styles to add variety. These games are shorter than many board games, making them suitable for: lesson breaks; short lessons; a quick homework activity – parents may use these at home. Imagine playing games as
homework! "fast finishers" playing in small groups; "games sessions", where several of the games are used in small groups and the groups
rotate; as a class resource for revision and consolidation; as an activity for observing students’ thinking and skill level. They are suitable for all elementary levels and in special education units. Older students are challenged by being encouraged to use words in longer and more complicated sentence structures. They are an excellent activity for peer tutoring. These games are popular resources in libraries for use as a lunchtime activity. However they are used, the students will have fun while they learn!
Ready-Ed Publications; February 2004
Excerpt

The "ack" Blend

Game instructions: Roll the dice. Add "ack" in the space to make a word and say it out loud. (Optional - put the word in a sentence.) Follow any arrows. If you cannot say the word, ask a friend to help you and go back 2 spaces.

not visible: Board game template image

Other sounds include:

"ad", "ag", "ai", "ake", "all", "and", "ang" and "ung", "ap", "ar" and "ee", "at", "ay", "bl" and "fl", "ch", "cl", "cr" and "gr", "e" and "sn", "ea", and much more.