Mammals Over The Ages

Extending Talented Students in the Regular Classroom

Mammals Over The Ages by Sandy Tasker
This fully revised blackline master series (Pacemaker Pack) was initially devised as a means of providing extension for students within the regular classroom, whilst catering for the needs of the teacher and providing materials that were designed along educationally sound lines. Mammals Over The Ages enables students to explore connections between prehistoric mammals and their modern-day counterparts. With a science-based focus on understanding physical structure and function, students are also encouraged to extend their knowledge by putting forward researched and original ideas on issues such as food chains, adaptations and extinction. Although the content and layout for the Pacemaker Pack series has been completely updated, the principles behind the series remain the same, using CONTENT LEVELS as a basis for categorizing activities. The key to this approach, which we term the appropriate curriculum model, is that students are presented with activities appropriate to their levels of understanding of the content together with their mastery of the requisite higher-order thinking processes. The levels are an adaptation of Bloom?s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, still a widely accepted and valued model of education. Below are the Content Levels and Indicators used in this book:

Content Level 1 FINDING OUT: Recalling data, showing understanding through restating or extending ideas. Answers factual questions, interprets information, describes or illustrates events.

Content Level 2 USING INFORMATION: Using information in a new situation through extending or breaking down concepts being studied. Problem solving based on knowledge gained. Making assumptions.

Content Level 3 CREATING / EVALUATING: Putting together ideas to develop new products, making judgements based on new information. Puts forward theories or original ideas and designs, forms and states opinions on theories.

Moving Through the Content Levels It is important that higher-order activities such as those at Content Level 3 are underpinned with a solid base of knowledge ? the tasks and activities aligned with Levels 1 and 2 are designed to establish and expand this. It should never be assumed that students have the requisite content knowledge, but be prepared to advance students quickly to higher-level activities if they demonstrate a sound understanding of the facts and concepts presented in Levels 1 and 2.

Ready-Ed Publications; June 2001
Title: Mammals Over The Ages
Author: Sandy Tasker

Buy, download and read Mammals Over The Ages (eBook) by Sandy Tasker today!
Excerpt

In The Family Tree

We know that the WOOLLY MAMMOTH was the huge, hairy ancestor of our elephant and that the WOOLLY RHINOCEROS was the forerunner of the rhino. But where did some of our other modern mammals come from?

Hyracotherium or Eohippus (meaning "dawn horse") was the earliest-known horse. It was the size of a tiny dog, being only 60 cm long and 20 cm high at the shoulder.

This primitive horse had four hoofed toes on the front feet and three hoofed toes on each hind foot. It had a long skull with 44 long-crowned teeth. It was a grazing herbivore that ate soft leaves and plant shoots.

Eohippus lived during the early Eocene Epoch, about 50 million years ago. It lived in the Northern Hemisphere (in Asia, Europe and North America). The first fossils of this tiny horse were found in England by the famous palaeontologist Richard Owen in 1841.

Find a picture of this ancient horse and draw it in the first square. Then make a flow chart to show how this horse may have evolved to become the horse as we know it today. Use sources such as: www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/mammals/index.shtml

Extra: Imagine that humans of today are merely the ancestors of highly developed beings that
are going to exist 100 000 years from now. What special features and skills will humans
have in the future? On the back of this page, draw a chart to show how we evolve into
these super-beings.