The Art of Computer Virus Research and Defense
Symantec's chief antivirus researcher has written the definitive guide to contemporary virus threats, defense techniques, and analysis tools. Unlike most books on computer viruses, The Art of Computer Virus Research and Defense is a reference written strictly for white hats: IT and security professionals responsible for protecting their organizations against malware. Peter Szor systematically covers everything you need to know, including virus behavior and classification, protection strategies, antivirus and worm-blocking techniques, and much more.
Szor presents the state-of-the-art in both malware and protection, providing the full technical detail that professionals need to handle increasingly complex attacks. Along the way, he provides extensive information on code metamorphism and other emerging techniques, so you can anticipate and prepare for future threats.
Szor also offers the most thorough and practical primer on virus analysis ever publishedaddressing everything from creating your own personal laboratory to automating the analysis process. This book's coverage includes
- Discovering how malicious code attacks on a variety of platforms
- Classifying malware strategies for infection, in-memory operation, self-protection, payload delivery, exploitation, and more
- Identifying and responding to code obfuscation threats: encrypted, polymorphic, and metamorphic
- Mastering empirical methods for analyzing malicious codeand what to do with what you learn
- Reverse-engineering malicious code with disassemblers, debuggers, emulators, and virtual machines
- Implementing technical defenses: scanning, code emulation, disinfection, inoculation, integrity checking, sandboxing, honeypots, behavior blocking, and much more
- Using worm blocking, host-based intrusion prevention, and network-level defense strategies
744 pages; ISBN 9780672333903
, or download in or
Title: The Art of Computer Virus Research and Defense
Author: Peter Szor