The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
Content Area Reading and Learning
How can teachers make content-area learning more accessible to their students? This text addresses instructional issues and provides a wealth of classroom strategies to help all middle and secondary teachers effectively enable their students to develop both content concepts and strategies for continued learning. The goal is to help teachers model, through excellent instruction, the importance of lifelong content-area learning. This working textbook provides students maximum interaction with the information, strategies, and examples presented in each chapter.
Content Area Reading and Learning: Instructional Strategies, Third Edition is organized around five themes:
- Content Area Reading: An Overview
- The Teacher and the Text
- The Students
- The Instructional Program
- School Culture and Environment in Middle and High School Classrooms
Pedagogical features: Each chapter includes a graphic organizer, a chapter overview, a Think Before Reading Activity, one or more Think While Reading Activities, and a Think After Reading Activity. The activities present questions and scenarios designed to integrate students’ previous knowledge and experience with their new learnings about issues related to content area reading, literacy, and learning, and to serve as catalysts for thinking and discussions.
New in the Third Edition
- The latest information on literacy strategies in every content area
- Research-based strategies for teaching students to read informational texts
- Up-to-date information for differentiating instruction for English-speaking and non-English speaking students
- An examination of youth culture and the role it plays in student learning
- A look at authentic learning in contexts related to the world of work
- Ways of using technology and media literacy to support content learning
- Suggestions for using writing in every content area to enhance student learning
- Ideas for using multiple texts for learning content
- A focus on the assessment-instruction connection
- Strategies for engaging and motivating students
Content Area Reading and Learning: Instructional Strategies, Third Edition, is intended as a primary text for courses on middle and high school content area literacy and learning.
, or download in or
More from this author
More Language Arts
English Language and Literature for the IB Diploma 2011 US$ 34.00 250 pages
The Small Business Guide to Online Marketing 2012 US$ 6.57
Through the Language Glass 2010 US$ 9.99 320 pages
The Only Grammar and Style Workbook You'll Ever Need 2012 US$ 6.50 256 pages