The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
Science, Research and Technology
Science and technology (S&T) are of vital importance to every country, large or small, in developing a knowledge-based economy. The success of S&T in leading countries is derived from science policies that encourage long-sighted programmes and are closely linked to pro-active budgetary controls.
In Bulgaria, the S&T sector reflects many of the economic and social challenges experienced by the country as a whole. It suffers from a chronic lack of adequate funding and has been slow to modernise its basic research structure. These weaknesses are compounded by the absence of coherent, long-term S&T policies. Despite these weaknesses, this Review provides evidence of the human and scientific potential for an effective S&T system that can make a strong contribution to Bulgaria’s economic development.
This review provides an overview of the S&T sector in Bulgaria and its links to education. Topics covered by this review include:
- The legislative framework.
- Institutional arrangements for research and teaching with specific information on the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences and higher education institutions.
- Budgeting mechanisms.
- Regional and international co-operation including EU policy initiatives.
- The impact of brain drain and aging on human resources.
Sample case studies and best practices in S&T policymaking are provided to illustrate the analysis. The final chapter includes a series of recommendations. This review will be useful for decision makers, and professionals around the world.
This publication is part of the OECD's ongoing co-operation with non-member economies around the world.
96 pages; ISBN 9789264007024
, or download in
More from this author
- Sustainable Development in OECD Countries2005US$ 33.00194 pages
- Trade and Competitiveness in Argentina, Brazil and Chile2004US$ 58.00234 pages
Differentiated Instructional Strategies Professional Learning Guide 2013 US$ 32.95 161 pages
IB Theory of Knowledge 2013 US$ 39.69 450 pages