The Professor and the Madman

The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester

The Professor and the Madman, masterfully researched and eloquently written, is an extraordinary tale of madness, genius, and the incredible obsessions of two remarkable men that led to the making of the Oxford English Dictionary -- and literary history. The compilation of the OED, begun in 1857, was one of the most ambitious projects ever undertaken. As definitions were collected, the overseeing committee, led by Professor James Murray, discovered that one man, Dr. W. C. Minor, had submitted more than ten thousand. When the committee insisted on honoring him, a shocking truth came to light: Dr. Minor, an American Civil War veteran, was also an inmate at an asylum for the criminally insane.

HarperCollins US; March 2006
Title: The Professor and the Madman
Author: Simon Winchester

Sean Penn Says Most People at His Haiti Galas Are Stargazing and 'Not Giving Anything' - PEOPLE.com
Fri, 04 Nov 2016 12:46:45 -0700
PEOPLE.comSean Penn Says Most People at His Haiti Galas Are Stargazing and 'Not Giving Anything'PEOPLE.comHe's also ...
Natalie Dormer joins Mel Gibson, Sean Penn drama Professor and the Madman - Entertainment Weekly
Wed, 31 Aug 2016 11:17:54 -0700
Entertainment WeeklyNatalie Dormer joins Mel Gibson, Sean Penn drama Professor and the MadmanEntertainment WeeklyGame of ...
Mel Gibson, Sean Penn Slated to Star in 'The Professor and the Madman' - RollingStone.com
Tue, 02 Aug 2016 07:05:03 -0700
RollingStone.comMel Gibson, Sean Penn Slated to Star in 'The Professor and the Madman'RollingStone.comMel Gibson and ...