31 Ways to Create Sustainable Neighborhoods
Superbia! is a book of practical ideas for creating more socially, economically, and environmentally sustainable neighborhoods. It is about remaking suburban and urban neighborhoods to serve people better and to reduce human impact on the environment.
The authors first trace the history of the suburbs, showing how they fail to meet many peoples’ needs. They then describe how existing neighborhoods can be transformed, offering cohousing and new urbanist communities as examples. The reader is then guided through the transformation of a fictitious neighborhood that adopts the authors’ thirty-one steps. Ideas for the blossoming of the suburb are described in order of difficulty, from easy to boldest, including:
the creation of a neighborhood newsletter to foster a sense of neighborhood identity and cooperation
regular community dinners, discussion groups, and baby-sitting co-ops
the removal of backyard fences to create park-like spaces for community play areas, or gardens
retrofitting homes for energy efficiency, and installing community energy systems.
Examples from all over North America and beyond provide real-life proof that citizen planners can create Superbia! And the most comprehensive resource listing imaginable puts all the tools needed at your fingertips.
Well-illustrated and reader-friendly, Superbia! is written primarily for the millions who live in urban areas or existing suburbs. It will also be of major interest to environmentalists, planners, and all who want to create a more humane and nurturing lifestyle.
Dan Chiras is the author of nineteen books including The Natural Plaster Book (New Society Publishers, 2003) and over 200 articles, a contributing editor to Mother Earth News, and an adjunct professor at Colorado College.
Dave Wann has produced six video programs on community, is coauthor of Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic and two other books about design. Both live in Colorado.
241 pages; ISBN 9781550923230
, or download in
Author: Dan Chiras; Dave Wann
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up 2014 US$ 9.99 192 pages
Unclutter Your Life in One Week 2009 US$ 13.99 256 pages
- Academic > Sociology > Communities. Classes. Races > Urban groups. The city. Urban sociology > City planning
- Academic > Sociology > Communities. Classes. Races > Urban groups. The city. Urban sociology > Suburban cities and towns
- Academic > Sociology > Social history and conditions. Social problems. Social reform > By region or country
- Architecture > Public, Commercial, or Industrial Buildings
- Architecture > Urban & Land Use Planning
- Science > Environmental Science
- Political Science > City Planning & Urban Development
- Social Science > Sociology
- Social Science > Special Groups
- Nature > Environmental Conservation & Protection
- House & Home > Design & Construction
- The Environment