The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
International Aid and China's Environment
Taming the Yellow Dragon
Rapid economic growth in the world's most populous nation is leading to widespread soil erosion, desertification, deforestation and the depletion of vital natural resources. The scale and severity of environmental problems in China now threaten the economic and social foundations of its modernization.
Using case studies, Morton analyzes the relationship between international and local responses to environmental problems in China, challenging the prevailing wisdom that weak compliance is the only constraint upon local environmental management in China. It advances two interrelated discussions: first, it constructs a conceptual framework for understanding the key dimensions of environmental capacity. This is broadly defined to encompass the financial, institutional, technological and social aspects of environmental management. Second, the book presents the results of an empirical inquiry into the implementation of donor-funded environmental projects in both China's poorer and relatively developed regions. By drawing upon extensive fieldwork, it seeks to explain how, and under what conditions, international donors can strengthen China's environmental capacity, especially at the local level. It will be of interest to those studying Chinese politics, environmental studies and international relations.
240 pages; ISBN 9781134183159
, or download in or
Killing Patton 2014 US$ 12.99 304 pages
History for the IB Diploma: Causes, Practices and Effects of Wars 2011 US$ 26.00 241 pages
- Academic > Environmental Sciences > Environmental management > Environmental management; China
- Academic > Earth Sciences > Environmental sciences > Communication in environmental sciences
- Academic > Earth Sciences > Environmental sciences > Environmental management
- Academic > Geography > Environmental sciences > Environmental management
- Social Science > Anthropology > Cultural
- Science > Environmental Science
- Political Science > International Relations
- Political Science > Public Policy
- Social Science > Ethnic Studies
- History > China
- The Environment