New to

The New Testament

A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings

The New Testament by Bart D. Ehrman
US$ 29.99 US$ 25.79
Featuring vibrant full color throughout, the fifth edition of Bart D. Ehrman's highly successful introduction approaches the New Testament from a consistently historical and comparative perspective, emphasizing the rich diversity of the earliest Christian literature. Distinctive to this study is its unique focus on the historical, literary, and religious milieux of the Greco-Roman world, including early Judaism. As part of its historical orientation, the book also discusses other Christian writings that were roughly contemporary with the New Testament, such as the Gospel of Thomas, the Apocalypse of Peter, and the letters of Ignatius.FEATURES:* A uniquely accessible and engaging writing style that vividly brings the New Testament story to life* Descriptions and models of various methods for studying ancient literature* Time lines, illustrations, maps, and more than 100 photos, including three photo essays* Five types of text boxes: "What to Expect," "At a Glance," "Another Glimpse into the Past," "What Do You Think?," and "Take a Stand"* An extensive glossary of key terms, which appear in boldface type the first time they are used in each chapter* An updated Instructor's Manual on CD containing a media resources section, chapter summaries, key terms, pedagogical suggestions, PowerPoint-based lecture outlines, and a test bank with essay and multiple-choice questions (not included with book, available separately)* An updated Companion Website at that provides students with links to media resources, chapter summaries, interactive multiple-choice self-quizzes, reading guides, flash cards, maps, and time lines* A FREE 6-month subscription to Oxford Biblical Studies Online ( $180 value--with the purchase of every new copy of this text. Please contact your Oxford University Press Sales Representative at 800.280.0280 for details.NEW TO THIS EDITION:* A completely reworked chapter (2) on textual criticism, which now appears at the beginning of the book* Take a Stand" boxes that are designed to help students synthesize the material in each chapter* Expanded bibliographies featuring the most up-to-date research available* New boxes on "Jesus and the Woman Taken in Adultery," "The Ending of Mark," and "The Laughing Jesus"
Oxford University Press; July 1999
Read online, or download in secure EPUB
Title: The New Testament
Author: Bart D. Ehrman
UNC Chapel Hill professor publishes new book on the historical Jesus -
Fri, 04 Mar 2016 12:08:32 -0800
UNC Chapel Hill professor publishes new book on the historical Jesusmyfox8.comEditor's note: Bart D. Ehrman is one of the ...
Did New Testament Writers Understand the Trinity? - Patheos (blog)
Fri, 12 Aug 2016 08:51:50 -0700
Patheos (blog)Did New Testament Writers Understand the Trinity?Patheos (blog)In a thesis I recently wrote for Ridley College, ...
Of Creation and Covenants - America Magazine
Sun, 28 Feb 2016 07:08:42 -0800
Of Creation and CovenantsAmerica MagazineWith Jesus Before the Gospels: How the Earliest Christians Remembered, Changed, and ...