The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
Mother of Alexander the Great
The definitive guide to the life of the first woman to play a major role in Greek political history, this is the first modern biography of Olympias.
Presenting a critical assessment of a fascinating and wholly misunderstood figure, Elizabeth Carney penetrates myth, fiction and sexual politics and conducts a close examination of Olympias through historical and literary sources, and brings her to life as she places the figure in the context of her own ancient, brutal political world.
Individual examinations look at:
- the role of Greek religion in Olympias' life
- literary and artistic traditions about Olympias found throughout the later ancient periods
- varying representations of Olympias found in the major ancient sources.
An absolutely compelling read for students, scholars, and anyone with an interest in Greek, Classical, or women’s history.
241 pages; ISBN 9781134318193
, or download in
More from this author
- Philip II and Alexander the Great2010US$ 84.99368 pages
- National Geographic Kids Chapters: Dog Finds Lost Dolphins2012US$ 5.99112 pages
Duty 2014 US$ 14.99 640 pages