The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
In the Footsteps of Mr. Kurtz
Living on the Brink of Disaster in the
Known as "the Leopard," the president of Zaire for thirty-two years, Mobutu Sese Seko, showed all the cunning of his namesake -- seducing Western powers, buying up the opposition, and dominating his people with a devastating combination of brutality and charm. While the population was pauperized, he plundered the country's copper and diamond resources, downing pink champagne in his jungle palace like some modern-day reincarnation of Joseph Conrad's crazed station manager.
Michela Wrong, a correspondent who witnessed Mobutu's last days, traces the rise and fall of the idealistic young journalist who became the stereotype of an African despot. Engrossing, highly readable, and as funny as it is tragic, In the Footsteps of Mr. Kurtz assesses the acts of the villains and the heroes in this fascinating story of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
368 pages; ISBN 9780061863615
Download in or
More from this author
Duty 2014 US$ 14.99 640 pages
- Academic > History > History of Africa > West Africa. West Coast > Zaire. Congo (Democratic Republic). Belgian Congo
- Biography & Autobiography > Historical
- Biography & Autobiography > Presidents & Heads of State
- Biography & Autobiography > Political
- Biography & Autobiography > Military
- History > Africa
- Political Science